Saturday, May 04, 2013

Japanese Cheese Cake - Part 2

Super not satisfied with the previous bake, I went on to do some homework on making this. Spoke to 2 friends who did this successfully and did some changes to the baking procedure.

Took my remaining block of cheese and decided to give this cake a try again. Hope it turned out well to be served as dessert after dinner at my in laws' place later.

My friend had suggested that I use hand to whisk the egg white. My 1st reaction to it was OMG ... the 'hand power' that is required to whip up 6 egg whites ... you must be kidding. Plus I ain't have that much time to whip the egg whites that slowly as I got to keep watch on the boys. Hence, I'd chosen to whisk the egg whites using a really low speed on my Kenwood mixer. I usually would whisk egg white at speed 3. This time, I am using speed 2 for the initial half, then speed 1 after I added in the last batch of sugar. Oh boy ... this is the longest time I ever took to get the egg whites ready.

Also, to make this cheese cake, the water bathe method is required. Normally, I would pour hot water into the outer pan first, place the pan with my cake batter in it, then top up with more water till it covers 1/2 the height of the cake batter pan. This time, I pour water into a pan, placed it into the oven while it is preheating. By the time my cake batter is ready, the water would be hot enough to be used.

I had also set the baking temperature higher. Using 150C instead of the initial temperature of 130C.

Tick ... tock ... tick ... tock ...

The whole time I did not dare to just leave the cake to get bake on its own. I am so afraid that the higher baking temperature would bring undesired results. Went to checked on the cake 1/2 hour after I started baking. Took a peek and ... it seems ok. The top had 'set' pretty well and looks alright. Sent it back to bake for another 1/2 hour.

*RINGGGGG* goes my timer and it is time to check the cake once more. Cake had risen and surprising it did not rise as high as my previous bakes. MUST BE the egg whites that made the difference. The top still look nice and need except for some tiny air pockets which start to surface now. But it is ok ... acceptable. 1 hour in baking time and cake still looks fine. Set timer for 15 mins and went to play with the boys.

Time's up and back to check the cake. Noticed that the part where the cake rose beyond the brim of the cake pan started to turn brown. When I look further, surface still flat but got a few narrow crack lines. Sad to see the crack lines BUT at least the surface is FLAT. For this, I am pretty satisfied. Removed the tent and continue to baked it trying to achieve the nice browned top. Another 15 mins is set but this time, I sat next to the oven peeping through the oven door every now and then. I am so worried that the crack lines would widen or the cake would erupt again. I think this period of time, I probably had open the oven door almost at every 5 mins interval ... hahaha.

End result of my bake today ...


Right after I took out from the oven. See the crack lines ... but seriously, I think it is much better that the previous one. But this time, the height of the cake was not as high as the previous one ... now I am a little worried about the density of the cake. The previous one, someone commented that it feels like eating cotton candy and my FIL mentioned that not much cheese could be tasted. The wait for the cake to cool down for taste tasting is a torture!!!


After the cake cooled down, the cracks managed to seal up and only left 'scars' around. Seriously it is much better than the last time. Now left with tasting. I cut the cake up and took a look at the inside and tasted the cake ...


Still as light though not like cotton candy but light enough. The cheese taste stronger and texture is drier. I like this version of the cake best. Overall, am pretty happy with the result ... I give this cake 95 marks!!!

Now, what is all left is to improve on the looks. Wait for the next promotion for cream cheese then I try again hehehe =)

No comments: