Monday, March 19, 2012

March Holiday Bakes

Its MARCH HOLIDAYS!!!!

A break from school for the boys = A break from Bento-ing for mummy.

BUT ... mummy hands are itchy ... itching to spend time in kitchen to play with her kitchen tools and SO ... mummy decides to do some baking.

Had been seeing lots of post on FB regarding homemade bread and all look so delicious. As a bread lover, I had wanted to make my own bread but after a few rounds of failed attempts, I'd shelf the idea for a long while. All these pictures of homemade bread had made the urge to try bread making come back. After rounds and rounds of read up and asking around, I'd decided to give it a try. Picked up a recipe strongly recommended by a friend and worked my Kenwood mixer hard to get the dough right. After 2 rounds of proofing and 20 mins of baking in the oven ...


Love the smell of freshly baked bread in the house and love the end result of the product. The Yogurt Bread is soft and nice ... I ate up 2 buns almost immediately. So glad that bread making was a success this time. All thanks to a friend who was so patience in explaining and teaching virtually me with whatever materials she could find on the Internet. The only thing that I would need to improve on is the shaping of my buns. I got rough surface buns due to the poor shaping. Though they look ugly, but they do taste good!!!

Due to the great success and feedback from the family, I felt super motivated and made another batch the next day. This time, I had search up on how to shape properly and had increased sugar amount in the recipe to suit my taste. Personally I would prefer a sweeter tasting bread.


See, batch 2 is so much nicer in looks. This recipe is here to stay ...


Now since my engine had been started, I started to think if I should try out the 65°C TangZhong (湯種) method. This method is also known as Water Roux method and is said to produce soft and bouncy bread which keeps well too. Had caught my eye on this type of bread a long long time ago but due to my lack in confidence and knowledge back then, I only read and did not do anything. Now, since confidence was boosted to the max, I gave this method of making bread a go. End result ...


I super like this texture :) The only problem is the dough is slight more difficult to handle cause it is slight sticky. Like the texture of breads produced via both methods mentioned hence both recipes are here to stay!!!


On top of my experiment with bread, I also managed to find time to bake a cake for my MIL's tea party on Saturday (17 Mar). Upon her request, I made Green Tea Red Bean cake for her.



A very fulfilling march holidays indeed with all these baking.

No comments: