Monday, March 11, 2013

Cooking experiments

I am a sucker for cookbooks. Love to be on a look out for them when I am at the bookstore and never resist to own any of it if anything interesting caught my attention. My collection of cookbooks had been growing but I seldom had the chance to try out recipes from them :p

I was flipping through the book, Yum-Yum Bento Box and saw some interesting ideas for the boys' meals and decided to make them my testers last week.

1) Pork Patties and Sesame Spinach (Pg 27)


See the bite size patties at the top right corner of the picture? Those are the patties mentioned in the recipe. I've made the patties bites size so that the boys could just pop each piece into their mouth instead of having to bite into it.

As for the sesame spinach, made a twitch as to how it is being served. Recommended as a side dish in the book but I minced it up and added it into the rice instead.

Verdict = Patties are pretty good. My boys love it. I was a little to careful when it comes to seasoning the spinach hence taste was still quite blend especially after mixing with the rice. Owein did not really like the rice because he sees all the greens in it. But I guess if the seasoning was a little stronger, it might be tastier and hence might 'mask' off the green sight. Will continue to work on this aspect.


2) Soboro Style Chicken and Egg (Pg 83)


How can kids resist food that is sweet, sweet, sweet =)

Gotten thumbs up from both the boys. Sneaky mummy had sneaked in carrots into the eggs. Grated the carrots and added it to the egg mixture. Though Owein did question why the eggs are orange in color but that did not bother him much.

No comments: