Tuesday, February 26, 2013

What's cooking?


"Oh where, oh where had my HAMACHI gone?

Oh where, oh where can it be?

With its head so big and its body so long,
Oh where, oh where can it be."



Hubby had bought a HUGE Hamachi fish (3.6kg) from Giant just before CNY. We had the fish cut up in 3 sections in general.

1) Head - Hubby's favorite. Set aside to be grilled.
2) Tail - Gotten it filleted, kept for steamboat on CNY eve.
3) Body - Remaining part of the fish were cut into steaks.


The fish head was taken out to be grilled the very next day. Lightly seasoned with sea salt and pepper, send into the oven to be grilled. Hubby was a happy boy when he sees his fish head.



I had forgotten to take a picture of the fish during our steamboat session on CNY eve. But trust me ... Hamachi tasted as good even when used for steamboat.


After enjoying the head and tail, it is time to attack the remaining part of the fish. Just like the head, lightly seasoned with sea salt and pepper, pan fry them instead of grilling. YUMZ!!!




I also had a try on making my favorite childhood MUST HAVE snack during CNY - 煎年糕.


This is one of the snack that I often see when I was a girl. My grandma would have prepared this on the 1st day of CNY. But after her passing, no one in my family continued with the tradition. Also, I had spend a few year aboard in pursue of my studies. After I'd gotten married, hubby did wanted to have it last year. But I was too busy with the children and hence set it aside. This year, found no more excuses and set my heart to try it out. Woo ... how I miss this little snack!!!


Beef Bulgogi is the 1st Korean dish Owein had tasted and he like it. I had bought a bottle of bulgogi sauce awhile back in mind to make the dish for the boys. But as usual, the bottle sat in my pantry for a long time before I decided to use it. Prepared this dish using instinct but the dish turned out pretty good. These days, cooking is made so much easier with all these cooking sauces.



Sliced the beef thinly into strips, marinate with sauce. Give it a quick stir in a heated pan and VIOLA!!!

Simple to prepare and yet taste good enough. Most importantly, the boys like it. That's all I need to motivate me in the kitchen.

No comments: