Thursday, June 30, 2011

Bento #2 - Bento-ing again ...

Recently bento is the way to go to prepare kids food. Had been seeing quite a lots of bento sets on Facebook and I am so inspired.

1st, I need to get my hands on a tamago pan because both my boys like tamago and I thought it would be a good ingredient to start with. So ... off I went to Daiso to pick up my cheap pan plus some bento making kits.


Tamago

Found a really easy to follow recipe online and after trying it then realised that it was not that difficult after all. Before that, all the layering and folding of the egg etc had kinda put me off to making tamago.


Other than the egg being slightly burnt, it was not bad for beginners.


Let's get BENTO-ing

With the tamago I'd made, I made this for the boy's dinner on 20 June. My boys found it cute and ate up their dinner in record timing. How inspiring ...

** Sushi Rice + Tamago with Pork Floss Toppings **
** Cheddar Cheese Pork Sausages **

Check out how it was done HERE ^_^.


Being inspired by my boys, I started to read more on making bentos online and sourcing for ideas. There is really lots to learn online and I'd picked up quite a bit of tips and tricks through my research. While still researching, my good friend and spurred me on to pick up a challenge ... that is to make an ANGRY BIRD bento by showing me this picture!!!


Isn't it cute!!! And when my boys are head over heals with the birds, she got to show me that!!! All because of my boys' love, I was so tempted to give it a try. I'd stared at pictures of Angry Bird bentos for the next few days, and finally I surrender and decided to make it for my little ones on 26 June. BUT ... only 1 type of bird for now ...

** 'Angry Bird' Rice Onigiri **
** Potato and Cheese Balls **
** Grilled Chicken with Yakitori Sauce **
** Yakitori Corn Kennels **

Not really happy with the final result but not bad for the 1st try. I promised the boys to try again and to make more birds ... guess it is time to source for more equipments and read up more on bento skills.


As I read on during my research, I came upon very interested food preparation method. Came by this DOMO character potato croquettes from Anna The Red's Bento Factory. I think it is damn cute and not very difficult to make and hence decided to give it a try for the boys on 27 June.

** 'Domo' Potato Croquettes **
** Angel Hair Pasta with Tomato Mushroom Sauce **

Click HERE for my own version of the croquettes.

I was so into making these cute DOMO monsters, I'd decided to make more of it for a picnic with my boys at the zoo on 29 June.

No comments: